• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Bitterroot Star

Bitterroot Valley's best source for local news!

  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Classifieds
    • Buildings
    • Farm & Garden
    • For Rent
    • For Sale
    • Free
    • Help Wanted
    • Real Estate
    • Sales/Auctions
    • Services
  • Legal Notices
  • Obituaries
  • Calendar
  • Services
    • Letter to the Editor
    • Place Classified Ad
    • Submit a Press Release
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
  • Subscribe

Incident at bar results in felony charges

August 5, 2014 by Editor

A Darby man has been arrested and charged with Assault with a Weapon, and Possession of a Destructive Device, both felony offenses, following an incident at the Conner Bar early Saturday morning.
Ravalli County Sheriff Chris Hoffman said that deputies responded to Conner, south of Darby, just before 2 a.m. on Saturday, July 26, on a report of a man with a “Molotov cocktail.”
Hoffman said that deputies were told that 53-year-old Jack Tony Hatzenbuehler, Jr. had been drinking at the bar for several hours, and that he had become verbally aggressive. Hatzenbuehler allegedly got up to leave and commented that he would be back, and would be “locked and loaded” when he returned. He is also alleged to have said that he would burn the place down.
According to witnesses, Hatzenbuehler did return a short time later, and was seen by other patrons getting out of his truck with a Molotov cocktail and a lighter in his hands. He was confronted by another patron who subdued him before he could light the device.
Hatzenbuehler told deputies that he had been drinking at the bar, and went outside at some point. He said that he saw some people outside smoking dope and throwing fireworks into a bonfire. He stated that he left the bar and went home to get a bottle of gas and a lighter, and then returned to the bar. Hatzenbuehler admitted that he intended to throw the bottle of gas into the fire behind the bar. When asked if he thought that would hurt anyone, he replied that he was sure it would hurt someone. He stated if there had been 30 people around the fire, he would not have, but if 3 or 4 people were around the fire, he would have thrown the bottle of gas into the fire, causing an explosion.
Hatzenbuehler was arraigned on Monday, and released on a $10,000 bond.

Share this:

Filed Under: News

Primary Sidebar

Search This Website

Search this website…

Local Info

  • Bitterroot Chamber of Commerce
  • Ravalli County
  • Ravalli County Economic Development Authority
  • City of Hamilton
  • Town of Stevensville
  • Town of Darby
  • Bitterroot Public Library
  • North Valley Public Library
  • Stevensville Community Foundation
  • Ravalli County Council on Aging
  • Bitterroot Producers Directory
  • Ravalli County Schools
  • Real Estate
  • Montana Works

Like us

Read our e-edition!

Montana Info

  • Montana Ski Report
  • Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks
  • National Parks in Montana
  • Montana Wildfires – INCIWEB
  • US Forest Service – Missoula
  • Firewise USA
  • Recreation.gov

Check Road Conditions

Road Conditions

Footer

Services

  • Place Classified Ad
  • Submit a Press Release
  • Letter to the Editor
  • Submit an Event
  • Subscribe
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

Our location:

PO Box 133

115 W. 3rd Street
Stevensville, MT  59870
Phone: (406) 777-3928
Fax: (406) 777-4265

Archives – May 2011 to Present

Archives Prior to May 2011

Click here for archives prior to May 2011.

The Bitterroot Star Newspaper Co: ISSN 1050-8724 (Print) ISSN 2994-0273 (Online)
Copyright © 2026 · Bitterroot Star · Maintenance · Site by Linda Lancaster at Bitterroot Web Designs