Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Any deployment of troops requires great consideration

By Montana Governor Steve Bullock The decision to send Montana Soldiers and Airmen anywhere – to the front lines, to a forest fire, or to protect our nation’s borders – is one of the most difficult decisions I make as Governor and as Commander in Chief of the Montana National Guard. I do not take…

Letters to the Editor

Commendable actions on Stevi river access issues

I would like to commend former mayor Jim Crews, the Town Council,  and the Park Board for their thoughtful deliberation on the issue of the land swap of city park land, proposed by the Capp Family, former owners of the Fort Owen Ranch. I am grateful they did not rush into a decision and…

Forced land acquisition unacceptable

County moving forward on airport land acquisition… How come no one is speaking out about this potential forced land acquisition? If someone forced you to sell, would this win friends and influence people? It sounds to me that the Mildenbergers are willing to negotiate with a reasonable plan. Why isn’t the county considering this?…

Virtuous ambition

Montana’s three political parties control access to the General Election ballot. Montanans can influence their parties by grassroots electing 3186 precinct persons in 56 counties. In 2014 no one filed for 2630, or 82%. Of the 571 positions for which persons filed, only 54 were contested. That small number of names was seen on…

Thanks to new ranch owner

I just wanted to say the biggest thank you to Myla Yahraus. The fishing access at Stevi has been a part of my life for close to 30 years. The first fish I caught in the Bitterroot was right in front of this access. I’ve walked with 2 different generations of dogs at this…

Thanks, President Trump

President Trump’s efforts to increase industry, lower our taxes, reduce regulations and rebuild our defenses are worthy of praise. Locally, it is great to see the coal cars gone from our railroad storage area along Hwy 93. There is at least an armistice in the “war on coal.” It’s refreshing to see commerce getting…

Conservation 

In researching history of National Forest Rangers and Supervisors, it is interesting to note that they protected, preserved and guarded what was in their district, while at the same time they allowed logging, cattle and sheep grazing, and human use. Forest fires were put out immediately, and nothing was wasted. Forests were improved, grazing…

Tax windfall should be used to help Colstrip

When you get a big tax return, it’s tempting to spend it right away on a gift or vacation. But we all know it’s responsible to use the savings to pay bills or invest for the future. That responsible approach is what’s needed now from electric utilities that are about to get a big…

Public land issues

Senator Jennifer Fielder, Thompson Falls, angered by Washington state for stopping trapping on public lands, came to Montana to trap. Montanans attempted to stop trapping on public lands, that angered her. She, RMEF and the NRA tried to pass legislation in the 2017 legislature to prevent that from ever happening and a new bill…

Support for Daines’ WSA release bill

In 1977 Congress passed the Montana Wilderness Study Act (MWSA). This Act identified nine areas in the state of Montana that were to be studied for their potential to be recommended to Congress as Wilderness Areas. The Forest Service was directed to evaluate those WSAs for their suitability for Wilderness designation, which they dutifully…

What about the national debt?

I am a Republican who is actually serious about balancing the budget, a rarity. I have said for many years the Democrats buy their votes with handouts to their supporters and the Republicans buy their votes with tax cuts; we cannot afford either. When we are out of power we are fiscal conservatives, when…